Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

MY VERY UNCOMMON FATHER

I really love my father and honestly I do. Not just because he ‎is my father but because of the kind of man that he is. I would still love my father even if it were not from his loins that I came from. The man is too good like that. My father is one in a million and I am not even trying to flatter him. Does he have his flaws? Of course he is imperfect but you can never fault his commitment to be the best husband, father, brother or uncle. 

If only about 1% of married men in the world have never cheated on their wives, I am proud to say my father is one of them. ‎I grew up knowing a man whose love for only his wife literally made other women green with envy. Sometimes I think his shyness was a catalyst to his faithfulness but then my father is handsome enough to attract women who would teach Potiphar's wife the act of seduction. So how was he able to stick to one woman all his life? The man is just awesome like that. 


I cannot recall ever seeing my father with a stick of cigarette or a glass of alcohol all my life. Never!‎ Not that he couldn't indulge like most of his friends but I guess he cared more about his family. He was always home unless on occasions when he went on long business trips. Even at such instances, we all stayed awake until he got back because it was unusual going to bed without saying goodnight to him. The man is too much like that.

One gift that I cannot stop thanking the almighty God for is my father. Each time I remember he is my father, I am filled with so much strength. He is my rock and I couldn't get any bigger without all the sacrifices he has made for me. ‎My father is not half as rich as Aliko Dangote but he gave me the best of everything and I wouldn't trade places. 

My father taught me to love and respect women. ‎He was a perfect gentleman to the letter. He taught me that women can be selfish but the more you love them they get transformed into angels. My father believed that a man was incomplete without a woman but he always said patience prevails in matters of the heart. The man is a loverholic like that. 

Yes, I am going to talk about one of his obvious flaws. The man had a short temper (something he managed to pass on to me). I remember that my father could be so livid that he would start to stammer but I never recall him slaying anyone out of annoyance. The man had the self control of ten men put together. Aha! This explains why despite his quick temper, he has never laid his hand on my mother or another woman (something that he also rubbed off on me).  

I know this post is about my father but it's my blog so permit me to sell my market small. If there are any two people who share a lot in common, it has to be me and my father. It's so real that sometimes it leaves my mother in utter shock. How can two people talk, eat, sleep and behave so alike. We are both amazing like that.

Most times we only have the opportunity to eulogize our mentors or heroes when they are no more. But I thought I should use this medium to tell the world how much my father means to me. 

Daddy, you are the love of my life and my real MVP. I love you to death. Happy Father's Day!


#HappiestManInTheWorld

No comments: