Pages

Saturday, November 02, 2013

HEAVEN IS FULL OF JOY: A TRIBUTE TO JOY CHIEDOZIE ALLISON



Joy Chiedozie Allison (1982-2012)
Joy!!! Heaven is full of joy, no more sorrow, heaven is full of joy. Thus went that old church song that reminded us of what an exciting place heaven will be. Apparently we do not sing this kind of songs a lot these days. Apparently, it’s no longer in vogue (In this era of prosperity gospels) and very few people think of life after death.
This song flooded my thoughts early this morning as I sat down to reflect on my life. Yes! It’s something I don’t take for granted, no apologies. As the renowned Greek philosopher would say “an unexamined life is not worth living”. But I must confess this life examination thing doesn’t come naturally.
Yesterday was the first day of the month of November and being a Friday, I decided to hang out with an amazing friend I was recently introduced to but had not met. While we were busy warming up and jeering, I received an email. Before then, I had ignored previous temptations to pick up my phone because I didn’t want to be distracted (It’s not what you are thinking). But I couldn’t ignore this one, “It could be very important”. And yes, I was right.  
It was from the website Forever Missed and it was a reminder that today (November 2, 2013) was my friend Joy Chiedozie Allison’s birthday. And almost immediately, my mind went on those spinning trips. “What befitting gift should I get for ‘My Joy’ on her birthday?” I thought silently amidst the excitement that echoed around me. What present on earth would do justice to angel?

I met Joy during my Post-graduate studies at the University of Lagos. I had a lot of wonderful friends back then but Joy stood out. To be honest, I am not sure if it was because of her effortless beauty or her warm spirit. Unfortunately, the closer I got the more difficult it became to unravel this rare gem.


Joy Chiedozie Allison, you were simply a phenomenon. That special kind of friend we meet just one in our lifetime. There are no known words to begin to describe you or to explain the impact you have made in the lives of all those who knew you. Thinking about it now, I can boldly say you were an angel all along and you were apparently missed in heaven. I hope God is not too angry with us, for we didn’t know it was for a short while. I am grateful to him for the almost two years I knew you.

It was on my birthday last year; I was on my way to Owerri. I decided to stop over at Awka to see my younger brother and the news was everywhere. I naturally felt bad that we had lost so many lives in such a careless manner. But it was only the next day when a course mate put up your picture on her BBM with the dreaded R.I.P acronym that my heart crashed completely.

Am glad you didn’t just leave us because the little angel you left behind has been more than a comfort to us. I have not seen her since the funeral but I promise I will soon. I still talk to a couple of our course mates. Your absence has taken its fair share of sunshine from all of us. To say we miss you is to undermine everything you meant to us. We will eventually stop crying but we will never forget.

As we celebrate your birthday today, we draw strength from the beautiful life you lived and that you are finally home for good. Happy birthday NwanyiOma! I know heaven is filled with so much Joy for you.



You can read more tributes in memory of this angel here http://www.forevermissed.com/joy-chiedozie-joy-joy-girl-allison/lifestory#stories

No comments: