Pages

Saturday, December 07, 2013

THE EIGHT EXPERIENCE: AN EXPERIENCE​D EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT OF THE BEST MUSICAL CONCERT IN 2013


This year's edition of The EXPERIENCE has come and gone and will arguably go down as the best musical concert held in Nigeria this year. Like the editions before, it was not short of robust excitement from gospel music's finest. However The EXPERIENCE 8 stood out on its own in many respects.

It was heralded rather unfortunately by the death of arguably Africa's greatest icon, Nelson Mandela. So it was not surprising that Madiba's demise dampened the anticipation of The EXPERIENCE, at least on social media.

I arrived at the venue at a time I thought was early enough but ladies and gentlemen I underestimated The EXPERIENCE. So there was this long queue that almost stretched from TBS to Obalende. But as someone who was determined to run into the presence of my helper (TBS), I humbly joined the queue. However, I was not too excited about this "queue" thing for personal reasons. There is something about me, women and queues (mouth sealed).





The venue for The EXPERIENCE 8 was electrifying to say the least and was an avenue where everyone's expectations were met regardless of their intentions. The good, the bad and the ugly all went home with some degree of satisfaction having reached some level of closure (translate in your own version). Such was the reputation of this year's EXPERIENCE.

Like every other gathering of the saints (fun seeking Christians), there was not a shortage of the descendants of eve. In various shapes, sizes, calibers, specimens, formats and of course fashion they came. For the objective of this article I will choose not to deliberate more on this, more reason why you should not miss a programme like The EXPERIENCE.



There were a group of "spiritual miscreants" who kept the atmosphere charged with rather distracting sounds of whistles and vuvuzelas. It was obvious the poor kids just gained temporary freedom from their ASUU induced house arrest. They wailed endlessly like the world was coming to end that night.


It was also an opportunity for many to see friends (people) who you they have (gotten over) not seen in a long time. Unfortunately, I was still the same lanky bloke with a slice of local swagger, so I was easily identified by even people who knew me from my days of innocence. There was no hiding place and God help you, you don't run into someone you owe. Your own experience will be double portion.

And trust Nigerians, they will always not be left out of something this exciting. Most of the folks in the building were chewing their mouths to the renditions of various artists (mainly the foreign ones) that graced the stage. And it left me wondering when we Christians would embrace the singing of gospel music for good.


Frank Edwards performing "Oghene Doh"
To be very honest, the Nigerian artists gave me the much needed adrenaline boost. They are amongst the best in the world anytime and anywhere. Okay, I have mad love for The Midnight Crew, EBEN, Sammy Okposo & Franklyn Edwards (they always have my medicine). Kingsley Ike was the first Nigerian gospel artist I fell in love with. Even though our love life has been shaky over the years, I still had that feeling everybody gets at the sight of their first love. Not forgetting Freke Umoh's thrilling performance (that guy can dance oh, Inyanya still dey learn).

And the comedians Akpororo and Chigurl were out of this world. As at the time of publishing this article I have not been able to find the appropriate phrase to describe their performance. Well, let’s just settle for super-fabulous.
 


Micah Stampley performing at The Experience
 
On the night, Micah Stampley was officially inducted into my "Gospel music hall of fame" where I have placed gospel singers like Donnie McClurkin, Don Moen & Cece Winans. If you are on this list you will have to share out of a small portion of my heart with God and my wife (the highest shareholders). It's that simple.

Overall, all the artists gave a good account of themselves and I will not in a million years regret coming for this EXPERIENCE. I am looking forward to the next EXPERIENCE because; this year will be my last I will be attending alone. Thank you for your understanding.


Paul Adefarasin and Don Moen

I must commend Pastor Paul & Ifeanyi Adefarasin and all their partners (It was a pleasure to see Pastor Sam Adeyemi) for bringing heaven down to Lagos through The EXPERIENCE. Hopefully, other cities will have the opportunity of hosting this wonderful gathering of beautiful people. Some of you will ask if I just went to The EXPERIENCE to observe the activities of the children of God (men). Would you blame an inquisitive man that his intentions were diluted by the forces in his immediate surroundings?

With these few words of mine, I hope I have been able to give those of you who missed The EXPERIENCE some experience to relate to while you look forward to the next one. God bless you tall and may you experience his abundant favour and grace for the remainder of this year.



The writer is an experienced EXPERIENCE solicitor and advocate and you can consult him on @iinspirenaija

No comments: