Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

TRIBUTE: THE ANGELS OF CHIBOK


Today marks 100 days since innocent school girls were violently abducted from their school in Chibok, Borno State. Some Nigerians still believe it was a hoax and others are blaming the government for inaction. Well, to every man the right to believe what he wants.

So, here is a poem I wrote for the occasion. The intention is simply to capture the feelings of these innocent school girls who are going through possibly the darkest days of their lives.   



Life is not always the easiest thing to get through

Especially when you are trapped in a dungeon like me
I was only sixteen and I was so innocent
It was the darkest day of my life
They took the entire colour out of my world



It felt like I was dreaming

Then it suddenly turned into a nightmare
Nothing felt real and it scared me
I was too tired to try to run away
They would bring me back
But why am I still here?



I have lost count of the days

And no one has come to look for me
I don’t know if anyone even cares
I might just be here for the rest of my life
All I want to do now is cry my heart out
But there are no more tears left to cry


I remember my mother everyday

She is a strong woman but this will be too much for her
I don’t want my father to see me like this
Because the sad memory will never leave him
I was their only hope
Now they have lost everything


I am frozen in fear, can barely move my body

They are standing over me again tonight
It was the same yesterday, and the day before
They take me however and whenever
Like I am not even human anymore
And they wouldn’t stop until I fainted

There is so much hurt inside
No, wait, I mean Inside inside
Coming from within my thighs
It’s constant, until my blood soaks my dress
My legs are numb and I can barely walk
It’s like my humanity is tainted

I feel horribly messed up
That overwhelming feeling of worthlessness
Am not worthy of any man now
I am not worth anything anymore


My head, my stomach, my body, everything hurts

There is no happiness, no enjoyment, nothing at all
I have been put through unimaginable things
You name it, I have suffered it all
When would this end?


Nothing gives me pleasure anymore

Such a feeling of insignificance and dirtiness
The feelings surge with persistent power
How will I live with this horrendous nightmare?


When I lay down at night I can’t sleep

Am thinking of how terrible the next day will be
The only guarantee is that I will suffer again and again
Until the day my heart stops beating, hopefully

There is no day since I got here that I have not wanted to die
I keep waking up every morning and I don’t know why
I have begged, pleaded and yelled at God to take me
Why can’t I just die in my sleep?

I have almost lost the will to live
It’s as if nothing I could ever do would bring me joy
Nothing matters, everything hurts, especially the darkness
But I am too afraid to take my own life
At least that’s how I feel at the moment
Although my mind tells me otherwise 

I didn’t choose this kind of life
Am just an unfortunate victim
It could have been anyone
All I wanted was a better life
Something my parents never had
Now my pleasant dreams are fading away


I thought I always know how things would be

How things would all turn out for me
I have always had high hopes
But this feeling of hopelessness is unrelenting


They have taken away almost everything

The creator is all I have now
I have given him all that is left of me
At least, then I will die for something


Please #BringBackOurGirls alive and now

2 comments:

Jay said...

This is a very wonderful piece. I just kept imagining how they are actually going through all these scenarios and even more. I pray that they are back home soon.

Anonymous said...

May God be with them until they are brought back home safely.